Jack W. Orf Journal

Discussion of important issues of the day without name-calling or meaningless arguments. Unless I'm in a bad mood, in which case body armor is recommended. I welcome your comments! Of late, this blog has gone from being a Critique of Pure Obama, to a Critique of Impure Trump.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The World Trade Center Movie

The World Trade Center movie is not a movie. It is an emotional experience. No other movie this year even has a remote chance of winning the "Best Movie" Oscar.

It does not follow the usual tired pattern of a "disaster movie". A disaster movie typically spends an hour leading you into the disaster, and then shows you pictures of the disaster for a half hour. I had thought that this movie would just show endless footage of the planes crashing into the towers.

But the movie really doesn't. The movie focuses on something different: What it must have been like to be buried alive in the rubble and slowly dying.

This is an extraordinary movie.

The movie also has some strong political implications for the coming election. Judging by the emotional reaction to it, it is clear that 9/11 is still an enormously potent political issue. If the Democrats go anti-war, it might well be political suicide. There is no doubt that the Republicans will continue to focus on 9/11 and the War on Terror.

It would be interesting to get comments from non-Americans about their reaction to the movie. I wonder if they will find it as emotionally moving as I did.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that what it's called, "the World Trade Center movie?" There are so many movies on the 9/11 topic right now I can't keep them straight. Just watched Flight 93, which really got to me because I'm in awe of what those people did knowing they were going to die. I thought it was done, especially for a television movie.
I know there's something else coming up (I think another made for TV movie) about the politics behind the tragedy.

22/8/06 11:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that its just called "World Trade Center". I haven't seen United 93.

23/8/06 07:49  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home