Jack W. Orf Journal

Discussion of important issues of the day without name-calling or meaningless arguments. Unless I'm in a bad mood, in which case body armor is recommended. I welcome your comments! Of late, this blog has gone from being a Critique of Pure Obama, to a Critique of Impure Trump.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 21, 2008

"The Departed" Revisited

I wrote the below review of Martin Scorcese's "The Departed" on 10/31/06. I didn't like it that much at the time that I saw it in the Movie Theatre. But now I've seen it several times on TV, including last night, and really like it a lot more.

I will have to revise my opinion and say that "The Departed" WILL make it to Martin Scorcese "Hall of Fame" Classic status. The ending is one of the greatest in movie history.

Unfortunately, I find it very difficult to sit still for 2 hours in a movie theatre, so I did not see "The Departed" all the way to the end when I viewed it the first time at the movie theatre.

My review written 10/31/06:
Martin Scorcese's "Departed" is a good movie. But it was rather pale comparted to his classic "Goodfellas". Some problems:

The movie had no sense of humor. Goodfellas had a sense of humor. Jack Nicholson had a little sense of humor, but not as much as he usually has. This movie could have been improved by Nicholson giving his famous "Herrrrrrre's Johnny..." line. That would have gone well with the squirting gore. I didn't think he was that believable as a mafia kingpin.

DiCaprio is unconvincing as a tough guy. He tries too hard. Real tough guys don't have to try hard to be tough.

There's too much wanton violence, and it's not very believable. Goodfellas only had a limited amount of violence, but it was very believable. The murderers also had some serious concerns about getting caught. They didn't just walk around and murder everyone in sight without being the slightest bit concerned about getting caught. It's not really THAT easy to murder people and not get caught, even if you're a big mafiosi.

The plot was a bit illogical. For example, Jack Nicholson picked up Matt Damon from his graduation ceremony at the police academy. Duh. And no police officers were supposed to have noticed THAT? Matt Damon gets picked up at graduation by a Mafia kingpin in a stretch limo and none of the guys in the police mafia unit are going to notice THAT? They are still going to consider Matt Damon to be squeeky clean? Highly unlikely. Police officers aren't idiots. They notice things like that.

Another problem was that DiCaprio and Damon look too much alike. There was one chase scene where DiCaprio was following Damon, but they both looked so much alike that I couldn't tell who was who.

But all in all, it was a pretty good movie. It just wasn't a classic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home